Attention Jefferson County Homeowners:
The Jefferson County PVA has received several complaints from local homeowners that there is a scam circulating in the Louisville Metro area. If anyone comes to your door and gives you papers to fill out on the Homestead Exemption, please politely refuse them. The Jefferson County PVA does not come to your door with Homestead exemption paperwork.
Please protect yourself by notifying the Kentucky Attorney General’s office, Adult Protective Services and the Louisville Metro Police Depart at the numbers below.
| Attorney General’s Office
(Consumer Protection Hotline)
Financial Crimes Squad (Fraud)
Phone (502) 574-7045
Investigates crimes involving forged or counterfeit checks, possession of forgery devices, identity thefts, consumer fraud, business fraud, embezzlement and pigeon drops.
|Adult Protective Services||502-595-4803|
Things to be aware of:
- Telemarketing Fraud
- Fraudulent Charities
- Home Improvement Scams
- Identity Theft
- Purse Snatching
- Pigeon Drops
- Sweepstakes Scams
The following steps may prevent you from being scammed:
- Request any solicitations in writing.
- Never give personal information to someone you don’t know.
- Don’t be pressured into contributing or making decisions about a major purchase.
- NEVER pay in full before services are rendered.
- Never send money for free gifts.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau before hiring someone to do work for you.
- Shred any personal information before discarding.
- Never carry large sums of money on you, as well as, valuable jewelry or all your credit cards.
- REMEMBER, if it sounds too good to be true, IT IS!